Monday, July 23, 2012

Flour Sack Redo

  A couple of days ago I wrote about my visit home and how my grandma inspired me to try and use what I have in front of me to create something new.  In other words to be resourceful!
   On this last visit home I enjoyed walking through an antique mall with my mom and my sister.  While walking through the various vignettes I fell in love with vintage flour sacks.  I loved both the pictorial advertising as well as the material.  They reminded me of that simpler time I referred to in earlier posts.  I wasn't quite sure what I would do with them but I had to have them none-the-less.  I ended up buying only two in the hopes that I would just find more when I was inspired.
   When I came home I was convinced I was going to turn both sacks into pillows however the more I thought about it, it just did not feel right.  Since I enjoy making aprons anyway I decided to see what I can come up with from this flour sack.  After a little time here is what I came up with.
  The only other fabric I used was a simple muslin for the waist band and the straps.  I made this one using just one flour sack and less than a 1/4 yard of muslin.  Now if I can rethink something like this I know you can too!!
   Here's a before and after!  If you are not a sewer just check out my FaceBook page and I can ship one to you:-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment