Thursday, July 19, 2012

New Inspiration and Space!!

    So if you take a look at the time lapse between my fist couple of posts and now you will see it's been a while.  I must apologize about this but I think it was a good thing to step back.  It has given me time to develop a little more vision, though be warned I reinvent frequently (lol)!
   I have been very busy moving and traveling across the U.S. with my family.  During this time I have been inspired like never before.  In Hawaii I was first inspired by the beauty and colors there that were echoed in the fabrics I found. It was the first place where I took an idea and kind of "jogged" with it.
   Well now I have been inspired again by my visit back home.  While I was there I thought a lot about my grandma, the way she reused things and how she worked on refining the art of homemaking.  She was the one who taught me how to sew, how to re-do and reupholster furniture, and how to be resourceful with what you have in front of you.
    In my new house I lost my sewing loft and craft room.  The kids kind of took over here but that's OK they are definitely worth loosing my space to.  So no craft room, what's a girl to do???
    After much walking around the house trying to find a corner, closet, or any space to call my own it dawned on me... The Kitchen Is My Space!  For better or worse let's face it that's where I end up cooking, visiting with friends, cleaning, "yadda, yadda, yadda" so why not add sewing/crafting to that list.
    The way my kitchen is set up I knew my stuff was going to be out in the open so I had to come up with a solution that LOOKED good. I could not handle the thought of plastic drawers and a wall of cabinets closing the room in.  So here it is...

     It still makes me smile when I look at it:-)  I love the patterns and colors on the fabrics I choose so much why not use them to throw some color on the wall. This was very low cost since we used old curtain rods my hubby was going to throw away thinking we didn't need them anymore.  We added some curtain clips and voila instant art!
     On my desk I used a kitchen two tiered fruit basket to hold my beading supplies.The beads are in the jars on the shelf over the fabric.   I have my paint brushes in jars and my acrylic paints are in the desk drawer.  My sketch pad and scrapbook papers are in a wooden letter organizer (something else we were going to throw away) on the shelf unit. I store my sewing machine under my desk when not in use so I have a nice work space.  When I cut my material or just need more surface space to work on I have a long folding table I bring in.

     Any odds and ends like projects in the works, or fabric scraps go into a basket that I keep in my closet though it would fit nicely under the fabric wall.
   So here you go with the help of the memory of my grandma, some Pinterest, and imagination I have turned my kitchen into a decorative crafting and cooking hub.
   Let the Inspiration Begin!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment